Friday, August 24, 2007

The GFCF Recipe Experience: Barefoot Contessa's Brownie Tart

My son Nicholas loves to watch the Food Network, and one day we were watching the Barefoot Contessa together. She made a brownie tart that really looked delicious. As we were watching, Nicolas turned to me and said "Daddy, I think you could make that for us." So I did, and my kids love the gfcf version.

My gluten free/ casein free recipe is below, but here is a link to Ina Garten's original recipe. Note that I don't use as much chocolate as she does, but it is still pretty rich.

Brownie Tart

Adapted from a recipe by the Barefoot Contessa.

Ingredients

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) gfcf unsalted butter
One Bag semisweet gfcf chocolate chips
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose gf flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Grease and flour a 9-inch tart pan with removable sides (we have also used a glass baking pan).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a bowl set over simmering water. Add the chocolate chips, remove from the heat, and stir until the chocolate melts. Set aside to cool completely.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, coffee, and vanilla on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cooled chocolate. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold the flour mixture into the batter until just combined.

Pour into the pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the center is puffed (the top may crack). The inside will still be very soft. Cool to room temperature before removing the sides of the tart pan.

3 comments:

Jennefer said...

Hi! We have recently gone gf/cf for our ds6 who has severe adhd and mild aspergers. I have been scouring the internet, especially blogs searching for yummy recipes as I learn how to cook all over again.

We made these brownies this week and they were amazing. It's the first recipe I've tried that I would serve to a non-gf/cf family without reservation!

Thanks for sharing your journey. I have learned so much.
Jennefer

Anonymous said...

hi there. I didn't there even was such a thing as CF butter. Where do you find it? Any recomendations on brands?

Thanks!

Thomas Dzomba said...

@anonymous - we use Earthbalance Buttery Spread. It has a really good taste and you can cook with it. It comes in a spread as well as in sticks.

Blog Archive