Monday, May 26, 2008

The GFCF Recipe Experience: Jewish Apple Cake

(This is a repost of one of my favorite recipes growing up. I made it this past weekend, and now I have pictures to prove it! And, like Mom's, ours was devoured before the day was done.)



I love this recipe because this cake is one my Mom has made since I was a child, and to me it is wonderful to be able to gfcf a family recipe. I think the gfcf version tastes just as good as Mom's, and Mom's is usually devoured immediately.

Oh, and I would be remiss without passing along my Chemist-Father's instructions - measure all ingredients accurately.


Ingredients

3 cups gfcf flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
6 large eggs
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 tsp gf vanilla
3 tsp gf baking powder
4 - 6 Granny Smith apples, pared and sliced thin
sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling


Preheat oven to 325.

Place all ingredients except apples into a mixing bowl. Using a mixer, blend for 5 - 7 minutes, starting a low speed until a thick batter is obtained, then raising to medium speed.

Grease or spray a tube pan with cooking spray.

Pour 1/3 of the batter into the tube pan. Place a layer of apples on top of the batter, then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Add another 1/3 of the batter and another layer of apples, sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar. Add the remaining 1/3 of the batter and the rest of the apples, sprinkling cinnamon and sugar over top of the apples.

Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours; test with a cake tester. If still wet, bake an additional 15 minutes.

9 comments:

childlife said...

This one looks super yummy - thanks for posting it! (Oh, and I have a chemist-father too - LOL!)

GFCF Mommy said...

This looks wonderful! Reminds me of a sour-cream pound cake my Grandma used to make.

Katherine

~M said...

This sounds amazing! What flour blend do you recommend? I usually prefer ones on the higher protein and nutrition side to the starches...and think almond flour would go great for part of the mix.

Is a bundt pan more-or-less the same thing as a tube pan?

Thomas Dzomba said...

Hi ~M - thanks for the comment. We usually use the Bob's Red Mill GF flour blend -I know that there are many people that do not like this bean flour blend, but we use it mainly for convenience. We usually sub it one to one for all purpose flour in recipes. If you would rather try a different blend, then I would recommend you add the flour a little at a time until you arrive at a thick cake batter consistency.

As for the pan, the tube pan and the bundt pan are different - the tube part of a tube pan is a removeable insert and I think has a higher capacity than bundt pan. That being said, the cake certainly could be made in a bundt pan - I just don't know if it will hold all the batter and apples the recipe calls for.

~Thomas

I Am Gluten Free said...

That is one darn beautiful looking cake, one I'd be proud to serve for any party (and especially for Rosh Hashanah!!!).

Gigi said...

OK, Thomas...first of all, thank goodness Sea made that gorgeous apple cake for this month's Adopt a GF Blogger, for otherwise, I would not have found you. And now that I have, I'm just tickled pink! :) I have an apple cake recipe that I adapted for GFCF and egg free, and it turned out very well, but yours if a different type of apple cake, with a whole different set of properties, and I just love the look of it - I will make this, no doubt, in the very near future. I am wondering about your thoughts on using an egg replacer for the eggs? Thank you for sharing your edible memory! :)
~Gigi

Thomas Dzomba said...

Hi Gigi - thanks for your comment. As for using egg replacer, I'm sorry to say that I do not have an answer for you as I have never used egg replacers, but perhaps this site will give you some advice:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_can_be_used_as_a_substitute_for_eggs_when_making_a_cake

Please let me know what you used to replace the eggs and how it turned out!

Thomas

Diane said...

Hi Thomas! I made this for what was supposed to be my daughters birthday luncheon with the family. I used Better Batter Mix (only because I hd some). It smelled so good while baking. It came out beautiful!! However, my biggest problem is, I need to make another since we ate ALL of it tonight. Thankfully I have tomorrow or Friday morning to make another. This is WOMDERFUL!!!

Judee@ Gluten Free A-Z said...

What a great looking apple cake and just in time for Rosh Hashana. It will be on my table. Thanks for sharing it.

Blog Archive