(This is a repost of one of my favorite recipes growing up. I made it this past weekend, and now I have pictures to prove it! And, like Mom's, ours was devoured before the day was done.)
I love this recipe because this cake is one my Mom has made since I was a child, and to me it is wonderful to be able to gfcf a family recipe. I think the gfcf version tastes just as good as Mom's, and Mom's is usually devoured immediately.
Oh, and I would be remiss without passing along my Chemist-Father's instructions - measure all ingredients accurately.
3 cups gfcf flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
6 large eggs
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 tsp gf vanilla
3 tsp gf baking powder
4 - 6 Granny Smith apples, pared and sliced thin
sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 325.
Place all ingredients except apples into a mixing bowl. Using a mixer, blend for 5 - 7 minutes, starting a low speed until a thick batter is obtained, then raising to medium speed.
Grease or spray a tube pan with cooking spray.
Pour 1/3 of the batter into the tube pan. Place a layer of apples on top of the batter, then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Add another 1/3 of the batter and another layer of apples, sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar. Add the remaining 1/3 of the batter and the rest of the apples, sprinkling cinnamon and sugar over top of the apples.
Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours; test with a cake tester. If still wet, bake an additional 15 minutes.
- ► 2011 (38)
- ► 2010 (59)
- ► 2009 (48)
- Brain Balance
- News and Notes
- Alex Barton, You Are Special!!!
- The GFCF Recipe Experience: Jewish Apple Cake
- Gluten Free/ Casein Free Challenge #1
- The GFCF Recipe Experience: Orange Poppyseed Brea...
- Adopt A Gluten Free Blogger - Event #4: May 26 - ...
- Three Letters - IEP
- The GFCF Recipe Experience: Raisin Scones
- Donating for Rhett and Parker
- The Essentials of Breakfast
- Adopt a GF Blogger Event #3 - The Gluten Free Momm...
- Abbott and Costello - Classic Comedy with a Modern...
- Our Newest Family Additions - and Their Role as Au...
- ▼ May (17)