Friday, May 22, 2009

The GFCF Review Experience - Easy Microwave Buns from Delightfully Gluten Free

A Happy Friday everyone! At least here in Missoula, the weather is beautiful, and is expected to remain so throughout this long Memorial Day weekend.

Memorial Day is often seen as the unofficial start to the summer season, a season where the grilling heats up and burgers begin sizzling in backyards everywhere. Burgers, of course, are a challenge for GFCF people, not because of the meat, but because of the bun. It is especially challenging for us since we are yeast free as well, and it's hard to find yeast free GF burger bun recipes. We tried using biscuits in the past, and they work okay, but they don't have the same softness and texture of a burger bun.

So along comes Seamaiden, acclaimed blogger at Book of Yum, and founder of the Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger monthly event. A few days a ago she posted the announcement for the May Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger event. I have always enjoyed participating in this event - it's a fun way to discover great GF bloggers and great recipes. And I had a plan in mind for something I wanted to make using an ingredient I have never used before. All I needed to do was find a recipe. Which I did, and I have dutifully notified Sea that I am adopting Cassandra, from Delightfully Gluten Free. I am really excited about making one of Cassandra's recipes, and hope to have the post up sometime next week.

By the way, there is still time to participate! Go here at Book of Yum to sign up!

While I was searching for the perfect Cassandra recipe to make, I came across another recipe, which was for microwave hamburger buns. Cassandra had come upon this recipe through a couple of other sources. It is a fast, simple way to make low carb buns that can be used for hamburgers, sandwiches, or whatever! Given that I had some leftover turkey patties in the fridge to make for supper (plus an ample supply of the main ingredient, ground flaxseed meal) it was worth giving a try.

The first rendition was exactly as Cassandra did - except that I only used one tbsp of CF butter (Earthbalance) since she had said hers turned out a little oily. The texture was great, but even 1 tsbp butter made it still seem oily. It was a little salty as well, likely due to the salt in the butter.

The second rendition involved cutting the Earthbalance back to 1/2 tbsp and eliminating the salt. These changes worked out really well! It could probably use a little salty (maybe 1/4 tsp) but the results were just fine for me, and for the kids, who absolutely loved it (even Nicholas, who detests turkey patties, ate a patty on a bun without complaint!)

They definitely are eggy, but the egg in mine was not overwhelming, and it really gave the bun that burger bun-like texture and consistency. If you are concerned about cholesterol I am sure you could just use egg white and it will turn out well. These literally are done in about 3 minutes each, so they can be made fresh while the burgers are grilling. I made a few extras so the kids could have sandwiches in their school lunch. I also made a variation where instead of 4 tbsp of flax seed meal, I used two, and then two tbsp of GF flour. This version was my favorite; I made it this morning, then scrambled an egg and put some Canadian bacon in it and microwaved for a quick breakfast sandwich (didn't have time to make hollandaise sauce).

For the record, here is my favorite version of this recipe:

Ingredients

1/2 tbsp CF butter (Earthbalance stick or spread)
1 large egg
2 tbsp GF flour
2 tbsp flax seed meal
1/2 tsp baking powder

Heat the butter in the microwave until melted.

In a microwave safe bowl, scramble the egg (I used a 3-inch diameter bowl, vary this depending on how high you want your bun to rise). Add the melted butter, and mix well. Add the flour, flaxseed meal, and baking powder, and stir until all the ingredients are well mixed to a batter-like consistency.

Microwave the mixture in the bowl for 1 minute on high. Remove from microwave, let cool for 1 minute, then turn out completely on to a cooling rack. Slice in half when cool.

A quick, simple GFCF burger bun just in time for the Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks Cassandra. I'm glad I adopted you, and I can't wait to make your Adopt a GF Blogger recipe!

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

I love to hear that people have found a recipe from my site that they love, or changed a recipe to make it one they love.
Thanks for choosing my for Adopt-a-Blogger.

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

I've never heard of anything like this before. And, I'm intrigued by the idea of cooking buns in the microwave. Sounds like a good project to work on with my kids. (I'm thinking they might be more inclined to eat it if they make it.) Thanks for sharing it... and reviewing it!