Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Adopt a GF Blogger - Celiac Teen

It has been a while since I participated in Sea's wonderful Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger event, but the new year underway it was time to jump in on the fun again. Plus, I had a special blogger I wanted to adopt, Lauren of Celiac Teen.

Lauren is a Canadian teenager who has been blogging for about 2 years. As she says in her profile, she has celiac disease (and a few more health issues), who is not letting her health get in the way of her life. As I have told Lauren before, I really admire her perspective and maturity for someone so young, traits I wish I had at her age. It is fascinating to read through her archives and see her evolve from a girl who is learning the GF lifestyle she must live to one who today is embracing life again.

Lauren isn't afraid to try new things, as evidenced by her participation in the Daring Bakers and Daring Cooks challenges. She is also creating some darn good recipes on her own, from a simple bowl of simple bowl of spinach, potatoes, and cheese to a delicious looking lemon cake she recently made for her Mom's birthday.

It was this very lemon cake that drew my interest - after all, with four kids, cake is always something that grabs their attention. Here is a link to Lauren's original recipe.


And here is how my version turned out.



As Lauren says in her original post, this is a moist cake that tastes just as a lemon cake should. And the cream cheese buttercream frosting is the perfect complement to the cake. The kids absolutely loved it - in fact, my son said it is the best cake he has ever had. High praise from a nine-year old boy!

Of course, I couldn't stick exactly to Lauren's recipe since I also have to make my foods casein free as well, but the substitutions needed were quite simple. I used Earthbalance buttery sticks in place of butter, almond milk for the milk, and Tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese for the cream cheese.

If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to visit Lauren's blog and get to know this remarkable young girl. And try her cake!!

And many thanks to Sea for continuing to host this wonderful event. If you have never participated, please look for the February announcement at Book of Yum and join in the fun!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Well, I am so glad you loved it! And your son's comments are so sweet =D. I'm glad it wasn't too difficult to adapt as well! Thank you for the kind words.

Carrie said...

Now I want cake!!!

d ogo said...

very cool

godofredo

Amedy said...

Good looking cake

gfe--gluten free easily said...

I couldn't agree more re: Lauren. She's totally amazing! She's like a breath of fresh air with her attitude, maturity, and, of course, her recipes! :-) Your cake looks yummy!

Shirley