Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Apple Week Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger: Alta from Tasty Eats at Home

Once again the amazing Sea at Book of Yum, creator of this event, served as the host of Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger. And this month, I decided to adopt someone that I met through this event when I hosted earlier this year - Alta from Tasty Eats at Home.

Alta has been blogging about food since July 2008. She juggles the rigors of a family and a full time job with making sure her family has healthy, home cooked food. As she says on her blog, "My goal is to share with you my experiences as I learn to cook from scratch, and perhaps we can all put a good, healthy dinner together even with lifestyle constraints, at least some of the time!"

Since June 2009, Alta has been completely gluten free, in both her blogging and her lifestyle. You can read more here about her decision and need to go gluten free, but suffice to say, going gluten free has helped her feel better physically. She also has a great post reflecting on her first year of being gluten free, which you can read here.

So what to make? Since I am celebrating Apple Week at the GFCF Experience, I decided to search for a recipe focusing on...well...apples. And I found what I thought was a good recipe - Apple Coffee Cake, from, as she says, "Grandma's Recipe Box."

And, I have to admit, I kind of mucked it up.



It's not that it tasted bad - on the contrary, the flavor was really good. But I didn't use enough milk in the crust, so it came out too thick. And I didn't bake it enough at first, so the crust really had a flour taste (I did put it back in the oven for a few more minutes and that did the trick).

The other thing I realized as I was making this was that this actually was one of the last recipes Alta posted BEFORE she went completely gluten free. So I modified by adding 2 tsp of xanthan gum to the mixture, and that likely contributed to the thickness of the crust as well.

But I really liked this recipe. Like Alta says, you sacrifice elegance for simplicity, but there is something simple and comforting about the blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple. And simplicity is definitely needed sometimes with a family of six!

If and when I make this again, I will keep the xanthan gum and increase the milk gradually until a better batter consistency is achieved. Oh, and since I am casein free, the milk I used is my favorite baking milk - almond milk.

Alta thank you for sharing this and all your recipes, as well as your insights on going gluten free!

4 comments:

Linda said...

I love Alta's recipes! You picked a great blogger to adopt. I'm sure it was very tasty, and most of the time that's all that matters.

I Am Gluten Free said...

Alta never ceases to amaze me with her energy and interesting and delicious sounding (and looking) recipes!

Ha! I have the same Corelle dishes as you!

Wendy @Celiacs in the House said...

I found a couple of Alta's recipes this summer that I'm still using. I'm sure a little tweaking and you'll be there. I'm all for rustic and simplicity when feeding a family.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Thanks for adopting me this month! :) I'm honored. I have yet to try this recipe gluten-free, and now you've inspired me! What flour blend did you use? Sorry it didn't turn out perfect, but I hope that hasn't deterred you. I might need this one morning during the week of Christmas - what a wonderful aroma for the rest of the family to wake to!

Blog Archive