Thursday, January 6, 2011

The GFCF Recipe Experience: Slow Cooked Turkey Chili

Anyone know what today is? It's National Bean Day!

It's amazing how each day of the seems to be some sort of National XXXX Day. I mean, check out this post. Every day in January is a National Day devoted to some sort of food. Not to mention the nine different foods of the month!**

**Little Grandmom would have loved it being Prune Breakfast Month - prunes were part of her breakfast every single day...

Since there are so many National Food days and foods of the month, why not have some fun with it? In fact, that is exactly what Lauren at Celiac Teen is doing. Lauren is hosting the Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten Free event this month. And she chose Follow the Calendar as the theme. Basically make a GF recipe based around one of the January food holidays, and post it to share with everyone. As Lauren suggests, it would be great if you could post it on the appropriate food "holiday" if possible. Want more details? Here is a link to Lauren's post.

I guess I could submit this recipe in honor of National Bean Day, but I think I am reserving my entry until later. In the meantime, let's talk chili!

This is my second chili recipe - you can find the first here. As I said in that post, we are not big hot and spicy eaters, but this recipe can easily be kicked up and made as spicy as you want.

The recipe is based on this recipe at About.com. The most notable changes I made were the use of ground turkey instead of ground beef and cutting back to one onion. I also, like some of the commenters on the original recipe, found it not necessary to thicken with cornstarch and water at the end.

The resulting chili was a hit with the kids and is perfect to serve with some corn chips, or even some corn muffins. Or if you prefer, homemade GFCF saltines.

Anyway you put it, it was perfect for a cold Montana winter day.


SLOW COOKED TURKEY CHILI
A GFCF Experience Adaptation


Ingredients


1.25 lbs. ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups tomato sauce (I used Classico Tomato and Basil)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

Brown the ground turkey in a saucepan over medium heat. Drain and place in the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and cook for 6 - 8 hours or until the vegetables are tender.


Happy National Bean Day!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Yum!! Your chili looks great! I didn't know about Lauren's event! I'll have to go and check it out! Isn't homemade chili the best. I've been using a lot more ground turkey lately since I realized that our local farm processed it! I love it! Also, your peirogies have been a HIT on our GF recipe group! A gal asked about a recipe for them and I sent her to your recipe and several people tried them and raved! It's one of my favorite recipes! :-) Happy Bean Day!! :-)

Mara said...

Hi! I am new reader as I am trying to have my 4 1/2 ASD son go GFCF. Your blog is great!

I love making a chili similar to this. Great spice add-ins: paprika, more chili powder (hot and mild both),minced garlic, and if you like spicy- add some cayenne. And it is fun to mix up the beans, I use white beans, kidney light and dark, and black. I also add a can of tomato paste and some water.

This is one of our family faves, and really cheap. We make vegan cornbread usually but I need to experiment with a good gf recipe.

Heather said...

Wow! I randomly got linked to your post and realize that we have a lot in common! I too posted about Bean Day for the Go Ahead Honey It's Gluten Free event.

Here's my post: http://www.glutenfreecat.com/?p=2767

Your turkey chili looks delicious! Stay warm. I hear it's gorgeous, but coooooold in Missoula!

Chili Dude said...

Happy National Bean Day!! I am going to try your chili recipe, looks great!