Monday, January 9, 2012

Adopt a GF Blogger - Cassidy from Cooking Gluten (& Dairy) Free

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to adopt Cassidy from Cooking Gluten (& Dairy) Free, and here it is!

Cassidy's blog is a recent discovery for me, and a welcome one.  In addition to some wonderful recipes she also features the main products she uses - she primarily uses almond flour and coconut flour for example - and she also has great sections on dairy and cheese substitutes and dining out - short summaries of what can and cannot be had at several restaurants. 

My discovery of her blog came at the right time.  I had, since before Christmas, been craving a pineapple upside down cake - funny in that I had not even had one in probably over 20 years.  But, as they say, it must be kismet, because low and behold that was one of the first recipes I saw on her blog!  Here is a link to Cassidy's version, and here is my version:



Now admittedly, I had to make a few adjustments - most importantly, her recipe called for a 10-inch cast iron skillet, and I only had a 12-inch skillet.  So I took a chance and upped every ingredient by roughly a third.  I also subbed out the flour - I used 1/2 cup each Bob's Red Mill GF all purpose flour, tapioca flour, and brown rice flour.  Much like the ranch dip, I used canola mayo instead of Vegenaise and used about a cup instead of upping that by a third.

It was my lucky day at first, since it managed to barely stay in the skillet while baking.  But then...

...since it was a 12-inch skillet I could not just flip it onto a regular plate so I had to try and flip it out onto a charger which would have worked fine except that thos 12-inch iron skillets are kind of awkward and when it flipped it never quite made it all the way over and some of it fell off the side...

..and that's why you see a slice instead of the whole cake!

This cake was fabulous.  So much so that my kids and I (well, mostly the kids) devoured the whole thing before the day was done!  It also led to my Sister-in-Law (after sharing the link to Cassidy's recipe on Facebook) to create her own version which subbed flax meal (I think) for the eggs, which she said was fabulous as well.  Have to get that recipe...

So you see Cassidy, your recipe inspired more than just me!  Thanks for sharing so many wonderful recipes and information on your blog - I can't wait to try more!

2 comments:

CassidyS said...

Thanks for adopting me and for such a nice post!!! You have some great looking recipes on your site that I just can't wait to try!

Wendy @ Celiacs in the House said...

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake-- such childhood memories and I bet my kids have never had one. I even have the right size skillet! Thanks for the reminder of a favorite that I've never attempted gluten free.